In January of 1958, approximately 100 men from in and around the town of Mount Airy came together at the Ellis Inn (later known as the Hacienda Inn) with a proposal to form a chapter of The Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks. The chapter was instituted on January 31, 1958 and chartered as Lodge #2061 by the Grand Lodge of The Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks on July 10, 1958. The lodge continued to meet at the Ellis Inn until 1962.
In 1962 a Bond Program was formed. Members purchased repayable non-interest bearing bonds. The funds were used to purchase a parcel of land just outside of town from Joe Fowler and build the first lodge building. Around 1968, an addition was built, adding a ballroom and recreation room that more than doubled the size of the lodge. Around 1971, one of the first and largest swimming pools in the area was built behind the lodge.
Christmas Eve, 1975, a fire started in the lounge area in a faulty electronic device, igniting a Christmas tree and doing extensive damage to the lounge area and spreading partially to other parts of the building. The fire was extinguished before destroying the building but caused a great deal of damage. Determined Elks went to work on the cleanup and had the building usable in time for the New Years party.